Thursday, August 29, 2013

Conflict in Syria.....More Important Than We Know

WARNING: The images you may see are graphic, view at your own discretion.


I will admit that for personal reasons I choose not to watch the local news. Unless we are under the immediate threat of severe weather (which in Oklahoma can happen at any second), then I have a tendency to refrain from watching it. Something grabbed my attention last night and for me it was a wake up call. First let me say that yes, this is a music blog and yes, my passion is still music, but today my focus is something bigger than music, something that is going to effect us all, something that is actually effecting us as we speak, eat, sleep, etc. So many of us, including myself, have been and still are blind to the dealings involving other countries. Either we don't care, we aren't aware or just too afraid of what we may see or hear. I was laying on my couch, looking for something boring on TV to watch when a picture of the white house popped up. My first instinct was to pass it by. I was curious as to why "they" were broadcasting video of the white house live around 11 pm. Then someone finally spoke and said that at any minute, President Obama would make his decision on sending military aid to Syria. After hearing that I was wide awake. I haven't been following the coverage of the Syrian conflict personally and it wasn't because I didn't want to but I didn't know.

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/Reason405?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

I know you may say, how could anyone not know about what's going on, it's so devastating and you're right, it's beyond devastating. There are events taking place right in front of our eyes but many of us know nothing about it because we are too consumed by Miley Cyrus' "twerking", NFL players suing over concussions and whether Lamar Odom is still with that Kardashian chick. I mean seriously, I started flipping through channels to see what else I could find on the fighting in Syria and even CNN was talking about the Video Music Awards. So I jumped on google and pulled up the news and under Top Stories and to find news on Syria I had to scroll past the NFL lawsuit, something about Verizon and another "top story", before coming to a little picture that started mentioning Syria. I go to Yahoo! News and the same thing, Obama on gun control, Is Miley and her dad OK, Clint Eastwood separates from his wife but nothing "major" about the current standing of this major conflict. I passed 15 articles before finding one about Syria's President. So you mean to tell me that OUR President has to make a decision on sending OUR family and friends into a country that is in the middle of probably one of the most deadly fights right now but WE have to search and dig and scroll past non-relevant information to even find out what is going on?

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/Reason405?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

WE HAVE TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!! Myself included, so let me now tell you why the war in Syria as it stands right now is MORE important than anything I have written about in the past two days. First, believe it or not, We live in the most hated country in the world. Regardless of what anyone says about immigrants coming to America to live the American dream, they hate us. Look at how they are handling their own, in their territory, what do you think we have to look forward to if we are thrown into it? This is something that we need to be made aware of, we need to be taught about what is going on and how to handle it, and most importantly, we need to know what this conflicts means for us, not only as a country but as a person period. We're quick to send aid and troops to other countries, kill their leaders, destroy their beliefs and give them ours yet we can't control the crime and murders in OUR own cities such as Chicago, Detroit and hell even here in Oklahoma City for that matter.

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/Reason405?fref=ts&ref=br_tf


I am not saying the U.S. should just sit back and do nothing, for the most part it's not possible, but while we are sitting around watching MTV, BET and VH1, the "real" reality is getting darker by the second and WE are potentially facing World War III. So how do you console your children who may see things that you weren't even aware of? We bash the celebrities for being "bad role models" to our children, yet WE aren't even preparing our children for the devastation that is to come as a result of not only the war in Syria, but the various wars through out this country. So when we can't feed our families, utilize our transportation, have proper clothing, or go to work, because EVERYTHING we do is tied to another country, then what do we do? We can't call Miley, we can't ask Lamar Odom, we can't rely on Verizon for consistent cell phone coverage so are we going to be able to rely on them for this?

It's human nature to be afraid of the unknown and sometimes ignorant to what we aren't used to but if we don't get it together, the outcome for us will much more devastating. Don't just take my word for it. Do the research, get engaged, find out what is going on and do what you can to be ready, for whatever is about to come. Nothing in this world is certain except death. So instead of spending our lives in fear of what is going to come anyway, why not try to find a way to make the ONE world we have a better place for the children that we are bringing into this world. Being separated by oceans and seas doesn't make us exempt from what's happening in other parts of the world.

Here is a link relaying the possible repercussions the United States may face by partaking in the conflict Syria. http://abcnews.go.com/US/repercussions-us-military-strike-syria/story?id=20093229

-Misses S.A.M-

No comments:

Post a Comment