Monday, September 2, 2013

Artists to Watch : The Weeknd


Photo Courtesy of: http://songwriterhome.com/2013/7/10/the-rise-of-prb/

The man to put our minds to work on the single "Wicked Games" is none other than 23 year old Canadian born Abel Tesfaye, better acquainted with the world as "The Weeknd", not to be mistaken for Weekend. Beginning his career in 2010, and having only 5 albums to date consisting of one studio album, one compilation album and three mixtapes, The Weekend is an incredible addition to the music scene. Without a doubt, The Weeknd is a controversial artist who definitely creates a buzz worth talking about. After creating the label under the moniker "XO", rumors have circulated relating the label name "XO" to the artist's use of the ever popular drugs Ecstasy (X) and Oxycodone (O). ( Golden, Zara (November 16, 2012). "Who Is The Weeknd? 5 Things You Should Know".VH1. Retrieved August 16, 2013.)

I first encountered the soulful singer's mellowing voice at a recent Wiz Khalifa concert and sound check party. The Weeknd is featured on Khalifa's album, on the single "Remember You".The Weeknd has a sound that is so different from anyone else in the industry right now. I would consider his sound to be comforting yet painful. His voice has a tone that is smooth yet there is a sound in his voice that makes you feel his words. Similar to that feeling of being intoxicated.




The Weeknd's first single, "Wicked Games" was originally recorded as part of his mixtape, "House of Balloons" but was instead re-recorded for the album "The Trilogy". I must admit that my first time hearing this single, I wasn't impressed. It initially sounded like a guy yelling into a microphone. It also took me a few more times to listen to it because it seemed to be the "dedication song" from every ex in the book, however, the words on my third time listening to the song caught my attention. So I decided to give Wicked Games a fair chance. I turned off the lights, put in my ear buds, closed my eyes and listened to the song. 
It has been a must play on my phone, laptop and iPod since. 

I appreciate music that makes me think and feel and The Weeknd is that type of artist. He's an artist that hasn't been around for an extended length of time but I will bet he is an artist that will be around for a long time to come. Check out the video to "Wicked Games" courtesy of YouTube, and see his talent for yourself. 

Until next time, Misses SAM - Signing Out




No comments:

Post a Comment